Toronto Argonauts beat the Ottawa Redblacks with a nail-biting finish

TORONTO, CANADA - JULY 11: Ricky Ray /

On a night they were honouring their 24th member on the all-time Argos list and back-to-back Grey cup Champions, the Toronto Argonauts get the win on a last second game winning field goal against the Ottawa Redblacks.

Lirim Hajrullahu kicked the game winning field goal which ran out the clock to give the Toronto Argonauts a 27-24 win over the Ottawa Redblacks at BMO field and complete the season sweep.

Quarterback Ricky Ray threw for 367 yards with two touchdowns on 40 of 55 completed passes. For the first time since 2006, Ray had his fifth straight start that had him throw for 300 yards.

To set up the game winning field goal, with two minutes left in the game, Ray moved down 51 yards down the field starting at their own 32 before making it to the Redblacks 27 yard like for Hajrullahu’s 34-yard field goal.

The Argos also had their highest attendance of the season at 15,801 thanks to the Doug Flutie bobble head day and the commemoration of the 1996 and1997 Grey Cup teams.

For the Argonauts, however, the game was overshadowed by some key losses on defence, with all of the injuries occurring late in the second quarter.

Victor Butler left the game with a leg injury, Bear Woods went through concussion protocol after helmet on helmet contact on a hit with Redblacks quarter back Trevor Harris.

More from Tip of the Tower

The scariest of the three came at the end of the quarter when Cleyon Laing had issues standing up needing a cart to take him off the field.

Laing was seeing coming back to the bench in crutches with a left leg cast in the third quarter. Butler and Woods status is up in the air and is not as serious in terms of their injuries.

The first quarter provided to be a defensive showing from both sides, with the Argonauts only scoring a field goal and Victor Butler forcing a fumble. The Redblacks were unable to get anything moving in the game’s first fifteen minutes.

It wasn’t until the second quarter where the offensive showing from the two Ontario teams clicked in. The Argos scored the first touchdown of the game with Ricky Ray completing a three-yard pass to Declan Cross.

The Redblacks responded later in the third quarter as quarterback Trevor Harris threw his first touchdown pass of the game to Brad Sinopoli and converting a two point convert to make it 12-9.

Ottawa continued their strong run, tying up the game in the fourth quarter at 17 after Josh Stangby ran for 15 yards after his previous touchdown on the play before was called back due to being down on contact.

Ricky Ray threw his second touchdown of the game midway through the fourth quarter. He completed an eight-yard pass to Anthony Coombs that was set up by a Marcus Ball interception to get in great position to be up 24-17.

The Redblacks however made one final push late in the game as Harris completed a 31-yard pass to Greg Ellingson to tie the game up at 24.

The Argos have now won three of their last five meetings against the Redblacks dating back to last season.

Next: Blue Jays: Jose Bautista's future uncertain

What did you think of tonight’s exciting game? Let us know in the comments below. The Argonauts next game is against the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Saturday July 29th at New Mosaic Stadium.