Toronto FC released their schedule for the MLS regular season on Wednesday and there were plenty of talking points for Reds fans.
Wednesday was a big day for Toronto FC fans as — along with the rest of MLS — the club announced their regular season schedule for the 2022 campaign. Once again each side with play 34 games, including 17 at home.
As you’d expect, there were plenty of things which stood out. Here are eight takeaways from the Reds’ schedule:
1. Due to a number of factors, this will be the shortest offseason in MLS history. TFC will begin their schedule on Feb. 26 with a trip to Texas, to face FC Dallas.
2. The Reds’ first home game of the 2022 campaign will take place a week later on Mar. 5, versus the New York Red Bulls. TFC’s all-time record in home openers is 7-5-3.*
3. Any games against fellow Canadian MLS sides are usually eagerly anticipated, and in 2022 TFC will face Montreal away on July 16 and at home on Sep. 4. Their game against the Whitecaps will take place in Vancouver on May. 8.
4. Despite being in different conferences, games between TFC and the Seattle Sounders mean something, given their recent history of three MLS Cup meetings. This coming season, the two sides will clash in Toronto on July 2.
5. Charlotte FC will make their MLS debut in 2022, bringing the total to 28 clubs. (St. Louis is expected to start playing the season after.) TFC will face Charlotte twice this coming season, at home on July. 23 and away on Aug. 28.
6. The majority of the Reds’ games will be played on a Saturday, with 12 at home and 11 on the road. They will also play five on Sunday (including one at home), five on Wednesday (three at home) and one on Friday (at home).
7. Toronto FC will play every team in the Eastern Conference twice, home and away. The other eight games will be made up of opponents from the Western Conference.
8. As much as we’d rather not think about this, it does have to be considered that the recent news regarding COVID-19 could impact the 2022 schedule in some way. Among other things, will the MLS season start on time and if so, will TFC actually be playing in Canada?
* TFC’s home opener this past season technically took place in Orlando. However, whether we include that game against the Whitecaps or the true first home game in Toronto versus Orlando City, the final result was still a tie.
What is your take on Toronto FC’s schedule for 2022? Does anything in particular stand out? Let us know in the comments section below.