Chart and fancy stats via Extra Skater
Well that sucked. The Toronto Maple Leafs fell 3-2 to the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night, losing goaltender James Reimer in the process.
Heading into the game the Hurricanes were one of the few teams in the league with worse possession numbers than the Maple Leafs so far this season, and the optimist inside of me thought that perhaps we would see the Leafs actually outplay an opponent.
Through the first period and into the start of the second it was looking promising for the Buds, but it was not to be as they quickly relinquished the advantage they had built-in Fenwick and decided that Jonathan Bernier needed more of a work out. By the end of the game the Leafs had been outshot 38-26, and managed a Fenwick Close of just 40% (i.e. very bad).
While they may have lost on a flukey goal, the Leafs most certainly did deserve to lose as Carolina was clearly the superior team through the second two periods of the game.
- Josh Leivo scored his first career goal for the Maple Leafs, and a nice one to boot. From the chatter on Twitter after the goal, it seems that more than a few pundits think this guy can be a solid NHLer, something the Toronto farm system hasn’t exactly been churning out in recent (or distant) memory
- Jonathan Bernier stopped 35 of 38 shots on the evening, good for a .921 SV%. If it wasn’t for Bernier’s stellar play, this game quite easily could have gotten out of hand in favour of the hurricanes
- Joffrey Lupul continued to be the Leafs best player early in the season, scoring another goal (gotta get lucky sometimes). If Lupul keeps this up that contract of his is going to start looking pretty fantastic.
- Paul Ranger once again looked like he belonged back on an AHL rink. He had several bad giveaways, and not so good reads as the opposition entered the offensive zone. Ranger had a CF of 29.2%, which is laughably awful.
- James Reimer went down with what appears to be another concussion. Less than a minute into the game Reimer scrambled to cover a puck and was kneed in the head by Josh Leivo. Reimer left the game and his status is unknown. The Leafs continued their pathetic insistence on not calling concussions what they are simply stating Reimer had a “headache”.
- Uhhh what the hell was that Jonathan Bernier? You’re supposed to be the heir apparent! Great goalies never make mistakes like that. Since it clearly didn’t hurt enough to see the first time, here’s Bernier’s gaffe in GIF form courtesy of @GOLDANDORSMITH
- Aside from the fact it cost the Leafs at least a point in the standings, it’s kind of funny the Leafs found a way to lose on a goal that wasn’t a shot on net given their problems with preventing shots against right? *sobs into pillow*